Winter seems to be taking especially long to rear her chilly presence and I enjoy the few mornings I have woken up to the mist along the ocean. Woolworths has dropped a special treat at my door and all I can say is that I can not wait for Winter to get here!
There doesn’t need to be a cloud in the sky for me to want to enjoy a steaming cup of tea and a rusk or two and Woolworths has you completely covered with their new range. I would barter the shoes on my feet for a packet of these new Waffle Rusks.
I know you have never heard of a recipe for left over waffles…but these rusks are made from waffles that have been dehydrated and dunked into a syrup before being dried out again…and they are INCREDIBLE!
This gift drop came with an amazing cheese selection, which usually only makes it as far as being presented as a cheese board…but I had other ideas for these Woolworths award-winning speciality cheeses. I wanted to share my ultimate comfort meal with you…the BEST Mac and Cheese around…
The BEST Mac and Cheese Recipe
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups macaroni pasta
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups grated Woolwrorths medium cheddar cheese**
- 5-8 rashes of streaky bacon
- Boil the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Once cooked drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking, and return to the pot you boiled it in. Set aside. (Mix in a little butter to keep the noodles from sticking if it’s going to be awhile before you make the sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper and smoked paprika. With a wooden spoon or whisk, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk in a thin stream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue to stir constantly until the sauce thickens, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and toss gently until all of the pasta is coated.
- Add half the pasta to a two-quart casserole dish (I like a tall 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish). Sprinkle on half the cheese. Add the rest of the pasta. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, then dust lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the mac and cheese starts getting a slightly dry and golden on top.
- Serve, topping individual servings with cooked, chopped bacon (lay on a greased oven tray and grill for 10 minutes.)
So after that delicious bowl of comfort, Woolworths made sure I would be as snug and comfortable on my couch as I enjoyed the latest episodes on Netflix (another huge Winter favourite) with this incredibly soft throw. It perfectly matches my new interior and fits in perfectly!
Pop into your local Woolworths and be sure to pick up some of these ULTIMATE WINTER essentials…you won’t regret it!