On a recently bloggers trip I found myself in conversation about the flavours of different cultures and influences on food around the world. This brought back many memories about a family trip I went on to Morocco. Full of flavour, spice mountains in the market place and open flames cooking meats no matter the time of day.
Carrots are definitely one of those vegetables that you always have. Whether its going to be chopped up and added to a soup or stew, blended to make a puree or enjoyed fried in loads of butter next to your Sunday roast. I wanted to make this humble ingredient the star of my dinner plate and thats why its packed with flavour.
A comforting, warm dish is the perfect meal around this time of year and its easy enough to take a boring mid-week go to meal an turn it into a show stooped where even the kids will be lining up for seconds.
Moroccan Spiced Carrots with Lentils and Pomegranates
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 organic bunch carrots from Wild Organics
- 2 Tbsp Willow Creek Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Season with pink Himalayan Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp Aleppo chilli pepper (or smoked chilli flakes)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cinnamon quills
- Zest of 2 citrus
- 1 handful chopped parsley or carrot fonds
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups of water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 handful pomegranate rubies from Wild Organics
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Peel the carrots, then cut into halves lengthwise, depending on the side.
- In a small bowl mix oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Toss this with the carrots and spread out in a single layer on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Cover with foil and place in the hot oven for 12 minutes then uncover and continue roasting 16-22 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Whisk the orange juice, aleppo chili pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Toss the dressing with the roasted carrots and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Place the lentils in a medium pot with the water and bring to a boil. Turn it down to a simmer and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until soft.
- When tender, uncover, if need be, reduce liquid by turing heat up, then drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve carrots over a bed of lentils, drizzle with creme fraiche, fresh herbs and pomegranate rubies.
It definitely is the perfect comfort meal and you could serve this alongside free-range lamb chops or pork sausages from Wild Organics. Why not order it in your next Wild Organics box by clicking the link: http://www.wildorganics.co.za/
If you try this recipe be sure to tag me on social media and as always…