Beetroot, you either love it or you hate it. But this recipe disguises the earthiness of this humble ingredient by adding the sweet elements. It is definitely a show stopper for those girly brunch dates.
Boasting in fresh flavour this is the perfect dish for a brunch, perfectly paired with a chilled glass of chardonnay.
- 4 medium beetroots
- 1 red onion
- Willowcreek blood orange olive oil
- 20g castor sugar
- 1 convenience puff pastry
- Feta cheese for garnish
- Thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Peel and thinly slice the beetroot, using a mandolin.
- Repeat the same with the onion.
- Lightly grease the base of a heavy saucepan with the olive oil.
- Layer lightly 1/3 of the red onion, top with 1 layer of beetroot.
- Lightly pour over more olive oil, season with salt and lightly sprinkle with someh sugar. Repeat this process 3 or 4 more times, ending with a beetroot layer.
- Cover the layers with rolled out puff pastry. Trim the pastry to fit the pan.
- Tuck the edges of the pastry underneath the beetroot layers.
- Bake for 40 mins, until pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Carefully invert the tart onto a plate.
- Garnish with feta cheese and thyme
Ingredients supplied by: Wild Organics